- Professor Emerita, Computer Science and Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- 831-459-1058 (email is better to reach me)
- Engineering 2, Room 267
- by appointment
- Marilyn Walker is a Professor of Computer Science and Engineering and the Director of the NLP MS Program at UCSC. She is a fellow of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), in recognition of her fundamental contributions to statistical methods for dialog optimization, to centering theory, and to expressive generation for dialog. Her current research includes work on computational models of dialogue interaction and conversational agents, controllable neural natural language generation, coreference resolution in open domain dialogue, analysis of affect, sarcasm and other social phenomena in social media dialogue, and statistical methods for training the dialogue manager for dialogue systems. Before coming to Santa Cruz in 2009, Walker was a professor of computer science at the University of Sheffield. From 1996 to 2003, she was a principal member of the research staff at AT&T Bell Labs and AT&T Research, where she worked on the AT&T Communicator project, developing a new architecture for spoken dialogue systems and statistical methods for dialogue management and generation. Walker has published more than 200 papers and has 10 U.S. patents granted or pending. She earned a B.A. in computer and information science at UC Santa Cruz, M.S. in computer science at Stanford University, and M.A. in linguistics and Ph.D. in computer science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Conversational agents, social media analytics, computational models of dialogue, natural language processing
- Athena: UCSC's system for the Alexa Prize
- Controlling User Perceptions of Linguistic Style: Trainable Generation of Personality Traits. François Mairesse and Marilyn Walker. Computational Linguistics, 2011.
- An Application of Reinforcement Learning to Dialogue Strategy Selection in a Spoken Dialogue System for Email. Marilyn Walker. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, JAIR, Vol 12., pp. 387-416, 2000.
- Towards Personality-Based User Adaptation: Psychologically Informed Stylistic Language Generation. François Mairesse and Marilyn Walker. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 20:3, pages 227-278, 2010.
- An Unsupervised Method for Learning Generation Dictionaries for Spoken Dialogue Systems by Mining User Reviews. Ryuichiro Higashinaka, Marilyn Walker and Rashmi Prasad. Journal of ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing, 2007.
- Learning Content Selection Rules for Generating Object Descriptions in Dialogue. Pam Jordan and Marilyn Walker. In Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Vol 24, pp. 157-194, 2005.
- Ph.D. Computer and Information Science, 1993 University of Pennsylvania.
- M.S. Computer Science, 1987, Stanford University
- B.A. Computer and Information Science, University of California Santa Cruz
Are you Marilyn Walker? If so, you can update your directory information.